It’s Halloween, and there are chills in the air. Well, only if your heating system isn’t keeping the building interior safe and cozy. No need to be frightened — just call your trusted HVAC pro if you’re experiencing any of these signs of trouble brewing.
- A drafty castle. This is the most obvious sign that something is wrong with your heating system. If you've turned up the thermostat and your building is still cold, it's time to call in a priest, er, repairman.
- Things going bump in the night. Clanking, banging or squealing noises are not normal for a heating system. If you hear any strange noises coming from your system, it's a good idea to have it checked out.
- Zombie system. If your heating system won't turn on, it could be a sign of a serious problem. Don't delay in calling a professional to resurrect it.
- Bone-chilling effects. If your heating system is blowing cold air, check to ensure your thermostat is wired and programmed properly. If so, it's definitely time to call a technician.
- Frightening energy bills. High utility costs could be a sign that your heating system is not working efficiently. This could be due to a number of factors, such as a dirty filter, a clogged vent or a malfunctioning part.
If you notice any of these signs, it's important to call a qualified HVAC technician to inspect your heating system and diagnose the problem. A timely repair can help prevent further damage to your system and keep your building occupants warm and comfortable all season.
Here are some tips to help prevent system scaries:
- Have your heating system serviced annually by a qualified HVAC technician.
- Change your filter every 3 months.
- Keep the vents in your home clean and unobstructed.
- Inspect outdoor units for signs of damage, such as loose or corroded wires, and make repairs as needed.
Remember, if you hear strange noises or feel a sudden draft of cold air pass across your skin, don’t be afraid. It’s probably just a faulty heating system…probably. Happy Halloween!